Subject: Re: PIPEing
From: MenTaT - !Productions <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] (M D Cox)
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 1994 17:28:25 -0400 (EDT)

> 
> >I'm not sure how the shell handles pipes - the easiest way to test it 
> >would be to try it!

> But where would the input be?  I mean, do I start a FOR NEXT loop and read
> everything or is each line located at a specific address in memory, like
> command line arguments?

There's always a possibility that it uses the PIPE: device...
 
> >AMOS program to redirect it, but it's not a very good solution...  For 
> >this kind of thing you're better off using C.

> I thought you might say that.  :(  I can write it in C without any problems
> just because it has special/standard facilities for STDIN and STDOUT.  I
> just get tired of C at work.

Tired of C?  Blasphemy!  :)  For years I was scared of C - all those 
braces gave me nightmares, but it's actually a nice language...  Now all 
I need is SAS C!  What AMOS needs is stdio support, but really AMOS is 
useless for shell programs - the compiler produces some BIG code!
 
> >Here's a nice awk program...  (Dunno if it works in GNU awk, but it works 
> >in System V...)

> I will give it a try in GAWK.
> 
> >Any awk/grep questions, just ask! :)  (And here's something nice - search 
> >for users with no password an a *NIX machine :

> AWK is quick and easy to do, fortunateluy I have experience with it.
 
> >grep '^[^:]*::' /etc/passwd
> >Not that I condone this sort of activity... :)

> Oh, neither do I . . . ;)

This is kind of off the AMOS topic now, but anyone know how far the LINUX 
port to the Amiga is from completion?  (And what kind of system will it 
require?)

--
$ make love
Make:  Don't know how to make love.  Stop.
$ rm God
rm:  God non-existent.